Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Avocado cucumber apple cold soup

--> recette en français




   If you've been following the blog for quite some time, you may have noticed that I love soup, I repeat it each time I publish a soup recipe. Whether warm and comfy in Winter or fresh and light in Summer, it's a good way to stay hydrated and eat veggies, legumes or even cereals in a simple manner.


   Lately, we've been brainstorming about what to do with our huge numerous cucumbers we have at work with my colleagues apart from tzatziki and salads and we talked about cold soups. One of them made a cold cream with cucumber and some "kid cheese" as I like to call it, I don't know if it exists outside of France but to me and cheese amateurs, it's not really cheese, it's something chewy wrapped into individuals packs. Anyway,  thought about what to use instead and I thought about avocado to bring some creamy texture.  

   You must know I only cook with seasonal products and so I bent a little my own rule because avocado's season is between October and April on the North Hemisphere. Even if avocados are available in Summer, it should be enjoyed occasionally during that time because you may be aware that its excessive growing and production have created some water waste problems amongst other ecological issues. If you're living in Europe, you can buy avocados that come Spain, way closer than South America.


   Back to the recipe itself, the cucumber and avocado marriage seduced me but there was something missing, I had just brought back some good apples, the first of the season and thought why not include some in the recipe to bring some freshness and sweetness. Kind of special association yes, I just hoped for the best not knowing where I was going with that idea but it worked just fine!


   If you don't feel like blending apple within the cold soup, at least, just try it diced as a topping and see by yourself. Apple and cucumber chunks will add some texture and freshness!




Avocado cucumber apple cold soup


Prep time : 15 minutes
Refrigerate time : 1 hour (optional)
Serving : 2 to 3 bowls (as a meal)


- 450 g / 15,87 oz Noa (spiny) cucumber, rather organic
- 200 g / 7 oz ripe avocado(1 big or 2 small)
- 150 g / 5,30 oz apple, rather organic
- 1 small Spring onion or 1/2 red onion
- 10 cl / 3,38 fl. oz soy milk (or other liquid)
- lemon juice
- coriander
- salt and pepper
- seeds of your choice (optional)


  • If your cucumber isn't organic, you should peel it. if organic, no need, its skin has many nutrients. Just wash and wipe it.

  • Slice the cucumber is half and remove the pips. Dice it, put 50 g / 1,75 oz aside and pour the rest into the bowl of a blender. 

  • Cut the avocado in half and slice the flesh in crosspieces, remove it with a tablespoon and pour into the blender.

  • Same for the apple whether it's organic or not. Peel it or wash it, remove the core and pips and cut it in 4. Cut 150 g / 5,30 oz and pour 100 g / 3,50 oz into the blender, keep the rest as topping with the cucumber dices.

  • Peel and chop the onion, add it into the blender.

  • Add soy milk, some lemon juice  (1 to 2 tbsp), spices and blend until you have a creamy homogeneous texture.

  • If it's too tick for you, just add some cold water. Taste and correct the seasoning if needed.

  • Pour into bowls, add the cucumber and apple dices and seeds if you wish (flax, squash, sunflower, etc.).  Refrigerate for 1 hour if you want to enjoy it really cold.


--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram with  #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva! You can also share your opinion on tried recipes you have pinned in Pinterest.






Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)





Yum

--> recette en français

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)