Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Raw Spring pointed cabbage, fennel, carrot and apple salad, almond butter and soy sauce seasoning

--> recette en français



    A few days ago, I stumbled on a type of cabbage I didn't even know about called "chou pointu" which means "pointed cabbage" in French because of the shape its leaves give it. It's a Spring cabbage, sweeter and more easily digestible. Its leaves are tender and slick. It had been a while since I wanted to make a raw cabbage salad so I gave it a try.


   Lately, the weather has ben very ugly in France and I kind of only crave for comforting and warm dishes but I thought a good salad would be nice to celebrate May. 


   I had a fennel and a carrot to use in the fridge and I thought that an apple would bring some sharpness. If you don't like fennel just skip it and put more cabbage.  


   To make this salad more fun, I added some raisins, goji berries and cashews. And to season it, I made a almond butter and soy sauce dressing, just delicious.  I use tamari soy sauce that is vegan and also gluten free, it's naturally fermented and I find it less salty, I just use this sauce now. And don't forget to add some proteins, I added some tamari fermented tofu and then some almond sesame smoked tofu, two of my favorites. 


   A piece of advice: use the heart raw and the external leaves for cooked dishes. And you could want to try these recipes, the Colcannon, an Irish dish or some vegan gluten free cabbage lasagna.





Raw Spring pointed cabbage, fennel, carrot and apple salad, almond butter and soy sauce seasoning


Prep time : 20 minutes
Serving : 3 to 4


- 100 g / 3,53 oz fennel (a small one)
- 100 g / 3,53 oz  pointed cabbage (1/2 to 3/4 of one)
- 130 g/ 4,60 oz carrot (about one)
- 100 g / 3,53 oz Granny Smith apple (about one)
- 60 g / 2,11 oz blond raisins
- 20 g / 0,71 oz goji berries
- 15 g / 0,53 oz nature and unsalted, cashews

- 110 g / 3,88 oz almond butter
- 30 g / 1,06 lemon juice
- 30 g / 1,06 tamari soy sauce
- pepper
- water



  • Wash and dry the fennel, cut the base and the stalks. Peel the possible damaged external parts and slice the fennel finely and put in a salad bowl.

  • Cut the base of the cabbage, remove the two external leaves that may be damaged. Separate the leaves from the core, wash and dry them. Start by slicing the heart finely and continue with the biggest leaves until you reach the quantity needed. Keep the large leaves for a cooked recipe (such a these gluten free vegan cabbage lasagna or this colcannon). Put the sliced cabbage into the bowl. 

  • Peel the carrot and slice it finely or grate it and put into the bowl. 

  • Wash the apple and dry it. You can peel it but the skin has more vitamins than the flesh. Remove the core and slice the apple finely, put into the bowl.

  • Add a dash of lemon juice and mix the raw sliced veggies. Liven the salad up with dried fruit (raisins, cranberries...) or seeds (sunflower, squash, sesame, etc.), as you wish. 

  • Prepare the seasoning :

  • In a bowl, mix the almond butter with lemon juice, tamari soy sauce and some pepper. You do not need to add salt, the soy sauce is already salty. Add some water if you want the seasoning more liquid.

  • Serve the salad with the sauce and enjoy ! 



  • Don't forget to add some proteins (I add some fermented tamari tofu or almond sesame smoked tofu, both my favorites).


--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram with #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva! You can also share your opinion on tried recipes you have pinned in Pinterest.





Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)



Yum

--> recette en français

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)