Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Banana bread porridge

--> recette en français



    A few weeks ago, I went back on the porridge track. It had ben my usual breakfast almost everything week days morning for many years and then I got bored and quite even disgusted and didn't want to hear about porridge. At that time, I used to make it with only oats, milk and cooked in the microwaves. And lately, I've stumbled upon recipes cooked with water in a saucepan and garnished with fruit and else and it made me want to try again.


    Since then, I've started collecting flakes as for flours, I have oats, oat bran, rice, millet, buckwheat or even toasted soy flakes. It's as many possibilities to make different porridges in flavor or texture. And actually, cooked in a saucepan doesn't take more time than in the microwaves. I also like it better cooked in water, it's less thick at the end but I like to do half and half with milk too. So, now I want to try lots of porridges and today's recipe is really yummy, filling and won't let you down until lunch time. It's quite rich in carbs so better as a pre-workout breakfast. 

   I took banana bread's main ingredients (banana,  chocolat chips, cinnamon) but you can also add some nuts of your choice if you like that. I tried different versions, one with toasted soy flakes, rich in proteins (40 g for 100 g!) but they're quite thick and don't "melt" during the cooking, I preferred the version with oats, oat bran and buckwheat for its more rustic taste. About sugar, it depends of the ripeness of the banana, the cocoa content of your chocolate and if you're more or less a sweet tooth.


   Concerning the chocolate, I preferred the version with crushed 70% cocoa dark chocolate to chocolate chips. For the banana, I put 3/4 of a mashed one into the porridge during the cooking but you can add it at the end of just add banana slices. Then, I add the chocolate at the end just before serving and it melts very slowly on the porridge and the banana, so good!


   As I said, you can cook the porridge into water or milk, for this recipe, I used half water and half milk (unsweetened soy milk, rich in proteins) to make the porridge creamy considering that mashed banana already makes it thick. I usually add 250 ml (1 cup) for 50 g flakes but depending of the type of flakes, I sometimes add some liquid (water or milk) after cooking, you'll adapt it whether you want it more or less thick.


   Now you have all the key to make your favorite version of the banana bread porridge!





Banana bread porridge


Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 5 minutes
Serving : 1 bowl


- 20 g / 0,71 oz oats
- 15 g / 0,53 oz oat bran
- 15 g / 0,53 oz buckwheat flakes
- 1 to 2 tbsp organic whole blond sugar
- 1 large ripe banane
- 150 ml / 5 fl. oz / 1,25 cup water
- 150 ml 5 fl. oz / 1,25 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 15 g/ 0,53 oz chocolate chips or 70% crushed dark chocolate
- cinnamon, to taste



  • You can mix the flakes and sugar in a bowl the night before or in the morning.

  • bring to a boil the water and milk, reduce the heat, add the flakes and sugar and 3/4 of the masked banana.

  • Whisk and let cook on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.

  • In the meantime,  crush the chocolate with a sharp knife if not using chocolate chips, slice the remaining banana.

  • Once cooked, whisk the porridge again and pour into the bowl, let rest for about 1 minute. Taste and add more sugar if needed.

  • Add the chocolate, the banana slices and a pinch of cinnamon or more, it's ready!




Notes : Do not hesitate to use different types of flakes, you can also add the masked banana once of the porridge is cooked and just add slices and of course, use the spices of your choice.




💪 Approximative nutritional information (for a bowl): 422 kcal (67,8 g carbs ; 14,2 g proteins ; 12,1 g fat)



--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram with #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva! You can also share your opinion on tried recipe you have pinned in Pinterest from now on.




Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)



--> recette en français Yum

7 comments:

  1. Your tips and tricks are very helpful! This is my kind of breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious - nice & flavorful! I love all the extras, like banana and chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore banana and chocolate in porridge, it works so well. Cinnamon I could take or leave but the rest, spot on for a delicious breakfast for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, chocolate and banana in porridge is so comforting! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Oooh yes now this looks right up my street. I mean to eat porridge more often but am not always very inspired when it comes to flavours but this, yeah I fancy this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment whether you tried the recipe or not :)