Let's begin this week with a vitamins packed smoothie, because it's good and to fight the bad weather of March, between Spring and apocalyptic rainy days.
At first, I had tried this smoothie with fresh orange juice and it was delicious but I thought it would be interesting to use the whole orange flesh in order to add more fibers that help to digest and make you feel hungry later because they regulate the carbohydrates and lipids. Mango is also a fruit rich in fibers but also antioxidants (and it's my favorite exotic fruit).
But this is not enough to have a boosting smoothie, hence the spices, turmeric is has been said to be "anti-cancer" (as well as mango), some clinical studies even use it in some medication instead of the chemical and aggressive treatment and good results exist. Turmeric is also good for digestion. It gives a nice golden or orange color to your dishes but be careful to be sparing with it because it has a particular and strong taste.
I added ginger and cardamom, two of my favorite spices but also because of their nutritional power, they also help digestion and have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory values, ginger can also calm nausea.
To finish this drink, I added some baobab powder. It has a slightly sour taste, it's made with the fruit of the tree and is considered as superfood. It's rich in fibers (40 g for 100g average, so to be taken in moderation), antioxidants, vitamins C (more than oranges) and minerals (such a calcium in bigger amount than in milk).
Now, it's clear, not only this smoothie is delicious, it will hydrate your body, make you feel full and bring numerous nutrients. I added some plant-based milk (almond for me), I thought it made it smoother (nice for a smoothie right ?!) but you can use water and measure the liquid out according to the consistency you wish. Finally, about sugar, it's optional, depending to your taste and fruit ripeness.
Orange mango immune booster Winter smoothie
(turmeric, ginger, cardamom and baobab)
Prep time : 5 minutes
Serving : 2 glasses
- 1 mango
- 2 oranges
- 2 pinches of turmeric
- 1 to 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 to 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 to 2 baobab powder
- 125 to 250 ml / 0,5 to 1 cup plant-based milk (or water)
- 1 to 2 tsp blond whole sugar (optional)
- Cut the mango in half, remove the middle bone and dice the flesh, pour it into the bowl of a blender.
- Cut each end of the oranges and peel them. Cut the flesh into quarters and then again in 4 and pour into the blender.
- Add the baobab powder and spices - I use ground spices, it's handy and within reach but you can use cardamom pods and turmeric and ginger roots and grate it finely, in this case, divide the quantities in half.
- Add some milk or water and blend. Taste and add sugar or liquid is needed.
- Enjoy without waiting (and most of all, don't put it in the fridge, it would damage the nutrients).
--> If you realize one of my recipes, do not hesitate to send me a photo that I can share on my Facebook page or tag me on Instagram with #cookalife and @cookalife_bymaeva! You can also share your opinion on tried recipe you have pinned in Pinterest from now on.
Want to try this recipe? Pin it for later! :-)
--> recette en français